By default, WordPress comes with a good membership features – you can have registered members on your blog, and you can group your members into different membership levels or roles.
However, registration for new members is disabled by default.
Let us see how you can enable new member registration on your blog.
Why would you want registered members?
You may want people to register on your blog for various reasons:
- You want to have some content – like downloadable files – available only to the registered members of your blog.
- You have outsourced some of your work by hiring someone (say from oDesk), and you don’t want to share your login with him / her. You want them to have a separate login, with different privileges.
- You want separate logins for people writing guest posts for your blog
- You want to create a feature rich membership site using a plugin like WishList Member or aMember
These are only some of the reasons why you would want to enable user registration on your blog.
Whatever your reason, here is how you can do it.
Enabling user registration on your blog
To allow new user registration, go to Settings > General. The following screen would open up:
Here, next to the “Membership” heading, click on the check box near “Anyone can register”.
Then, from the dropdown below (named “New User Default Role”), select an appropriate user level for newly registered members. You can select from the following:
- Subscriber (lowest level of privileges)
- Administrator (highest level of privileges)
I would recommend setting this to “subscriber”, unless you are opening up new user registration for a specific purpose.
My blogs are hosted reliably at HostGator
I run 20+ blogs, and each of these is hosted at HostGator. I have been using their service for a long time, and have never experienced any downtime. They also have a very responsive customer service team.
HostGator provides the most reliable and fully featured WordPress hosting service. Their plans start as low as $3.96 per month for unlimited hosting - try out HostGator now!